Sunday, October 4, 2009

Black Lungs

It's been another not-so-relaxing weekend for The Bagley Project. Between work work and house work, Sam and I haven't had much time to just unwind. But hey, I suppose we can unwind in November, eh?

Things are really ramping up on the house, though Ben worries that we're a bit behind schedule. We were originally hoping to move in at the end of this month, but now it looks like I'll be keeping my apartment until the end of November. Between now and then, here's what needs to be done: (1) finish electrical (hopefully within the next few days -- almost there), (2) get a city inspector to come look at the plumbing/heating/electrical/framing, (3) insulation (sub-contractors are scheduled to come in next week), (4) get another inspection for insulation, (5) sheet rock (sub-contractors can hopefully start Friday, but that may be optimistic), (6) lots of other crap.

Sam and I spent much of the weekend cleaning the house and breathing in tons of dust. I feel like my nose and throat are coated with a fine layer of soot. We also had to move a lot of crap into the shed to make way for the sheetrockers. Apparently they won't work if there's anything on the floor because -- get this -- they walk around on stilts. Stilts! It's like a circus and a work site all in one. In any case, carrying around box upon box of nails really makes you realize how many stairs are in the house. Also makes you wonder how many boxes of nails one person really needs.

Sam also spent time banging metal plates into the studs so that the sheetrockers don't accidentally pierce our new electrical wires. That would indeed be a bad thing. Meanwhile, Ben is basically done with framing. In fact, I think BJ (the FHA inspector) qualified the framing as 100% done. I believe he also gave Ben the rest of the plumbing/heating money, and $ for the windows. Sorry I can't be more specific; I haven't really been involved in any of that. I honestly don't know what else Ben's been working on, but I'm sure it's something important.

Okay, I'm going to start a new post to get some pictures up, so that's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment