Friday, September 11, 2009

Kitchen Update

I find myself with a free hour, and am going to try to get you up to speed with some more pictures (as promised weeks ago). But first, an update that I forgot to mention this morning:

-- Roof: I believe half the roof has been torn off and re-sheeted (perhaps the whole roof by now). Eventually we're going to have shingles that are darkish brown. Honestly, I didn't give much thought to our shingle choice, as it's not something I'll really have to look at. Same can't be said for the people in the neighboring townhomes. But for them, any change to our roof has got to be an improvement on their view.


Now on to the photos. If I recall, I was working my way back through the house, and had just left off with the dining room. I suppose that brings us to the kitchen.

As in all the other rooms, demolition started with the floor, which proved to be quite difficult (says Sam -- I wouldn't know). As you can see, the flooring had a tendency to tear rather than lift. In the end, we're just going to get it as smooth as possible and then put tile or wood flooring over it.

After the floors we as gone as they were going to get, the cabinets and walls started to come down, followed by the ceiling. I could go into all of the wonders that came out of the kitchen ceiling, but I think I'll save that for a separate post. Yeah, that deserves a post of its own.

The kitchen was looking really scary for a while, after the cabinets had been removed from the walls but before they had been carried out the door. See evidence above.

Eventually, though, we got it all cleaned up, so now the kitchen floor is basically storage space for whatever materials are currently needed for construction (alternately, wood for framing or pipes for plumbing). Otherwise, there's not too much going on with the kitchen right now.

I think I mentioned in a previous post that we chose a cabinet layout at Home Depot. Eventually, we're going to take that design to get bids from some other companies with the hopes of saving a few bucks. Once things start moving on this front, I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment